Thursday, September 06, 2007

I'm Not Gonna Die! Comeon People!

Ok. So if you haven't guessed it yet, I'm about eight months pregnant. I've been doing Hypnobirthing (Mongan Method) classes and am confident in the methods.

However, I got the feeling at my doc's appointment yesterday that she's skeptical. She hasn't watched the videos of the women who were actually using the techniques and she hasn't ever had a patient use them yet. Anyway, I think doctors really try to scare you into spending tons of money for no real good reason. I'm healthy, the baby's healthy. We are going to be fine.

Which leads me to my dream. I dreamt I was surrounded by people who had negative views of my birth in one way or another. There was my doctor talking about pain and blood. My parents rolling their eyes at each other as if to say, "whatever". Other family members talking about how much they needed the meds and how it was so awful. It was like everyone around me was trying to dictate what was going to happen to my baby and I.

Suddenly, I felt someone in my arms and I knew it was my baby. I felt her tiny hands on my skin, reassuring me that all was well. I didn't look down. I knew my imagination couldn't picture her face good enough. I stood before all of these people who I respected, but at that time resented. I faced them and told them that my baby and I had decided our birth was going to be peaceful, like the night Christ was born. We were going to use the techniques from the class, they were going to work, and everyone else could keep their opinion to themselves until after the labor. I felt empowered. I left all of those people behind and at last felt like I was calm and peaceful.

I'm not vulnerable. Nor am I weak. The baby is healthy. I'm not sick. I'm not feeling terrible. I've had a positive outlook on everything and it has made all of the difference. So please, stop being so negative around me! It just ruins the experience.

(Venting complete)

1 comment:

Egenmay said...

I feel I need to add some more explaination for this post.

1. Hypnobirthing isn't for everyone... but it is for me!

2. I'm not pushing this on anyone, I'm just letting the methods work the way they were designed to.

3. I'm sure my Doc has good reasons and yadda yadda. She's seen all the bad you could possibly see in a birth. Even if she hasn't seen it personally, she's had classes on it and probably seen diagrams and videos of the most horrible things.